Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Two Immediate Things You Can Immediately Do for Action on Climate in 2014

Dear friends,

Happy New Year! Hope you all had joyful celebrations last night with loved ones to welcome 2014. While I sent a full life update last week, today I'm sending a quick e-mail with two immediate actions you can take help us to all act on climate in the new year:

1) Donate to the SustainUS Holiday fundraiser.  
This scrappy youth climate organization means the world to me.  I joined SustainUS for the Rio+20 delegation in 2012, and I fell in love with the insightful and compassionate people that make up the organization.  I now serve as the SustainUS Campaign Strategy Coordinator, and I recently led the SustainUS delegation to Warsaw.

SustainUS is a lean, all-volunteer organization, and we squeeze the most we can out of every single dollar.  For one more day (January 1 only!), a generous donor has agreed to match all of the contributions.  So your donation will be doubled if you give today.  Whatever you can offer, it will make a big difference for our work in 2014.

If you can give, please contribute to SustainUS here: http://bit.ly/SustainUS2013Fundraiser

2) Join in the #FastForTheClimate today and every first day of the month.  
In November, Filipino climate negotiator Yeb Sano fasted for the entire duration of COP19 to call on the world to "Stop the Climate Madness" by reducing carbon emissions and increasing aid to the poorest countries bearing the highest cost from climate disasters.  In 2014, Yeb and thousands of other activists around the world who will #FastForTheClimate on each first day of the month. 

I'm joining Yeb and many others in the #FastForTheClimate effort by not eating today.  I'm under no illusions that this will directly lead to the policy change that the world needs.  But I do believe that the act of fasting will help build up my spiritual capacity to endure this fight.  Fasting also helps to remind me top those that are less fortunate than me, especially those already suffering for climate-related weather disasters.

Five SustainUS members participated in the #FastForTheClimate during COP19, and I am excited to continue this effort.  I highly encourage you to consider joining, even if just for a day.  Click here to read more about the inspiration for SustainUS joining in #FastForTheClimate during COP19, then sign up to join the days of fasting in 2014.

As always, I'm incredibly grateful for your support. Happy New Year; let's make 2014 really matter.

-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment